Septic System Tips How To Care for Your Septic System
At Winchester Disposal Service Ltd. we want to help you keep your septic system operating effectively. A properly functioning system ensures that none of the waste is a threat to environment.
Here are tips to assist you with protecting the environment and saving you time and money in the long term.
- Have your tank pumped every 2 to 3 years
- Know where your septic system is located
- Do not drive cars, trucks or any heavy machinery over your septic field. Anything heavy may crush your pipes or compact the soil around the pipes.
- Use septic safe household cleaners and detergents to assist in preventing sludge from accumulating
- Septic systems can't digest oils, grease or fat that may be poured down your sink or flushed down your toilet
- Septic systems are not equipped to handle paint or solvents
- Flush only toilet paper
- Do not flush cotton swabs, cigarette butts, dental floss, or any household or personal care items
- Do not plant trees or shrubs near your septic system. Roots can plug and or damage your pipes
- Do not allow rain gutters to drain into or near your septic system
Warning Signs of a Failing Septic System
- Grass over the septic system may be greener and spongy
- Toilets, showers and sinks may drain slower than usual
- Sewage odors may be noticeable
The cost of maintaining and pumping your septic system on a regular schedule will be far less expensive than the repair required if your septic system fails due to non maintenance.